Erie Fire Association No. 4 is the Oldest Privately Owned Fire Company in the United States of America. Celebrating our 163rd year of service to our community. The purpose of the Erie Fire Association No. 4 is to protect the lives and property of the citizens of Georgetown Massachusetts to the best of their ability.
Erie has been owned and operated by its members since 1854, serving as one of the two fire companies that make up the Georgetown Fire Department.
Although privately owned companies were common in the mid-eighteen hundreds, most of them have become owned by the taxpayers. Through pride and stubbornness, Eire 4 has survived and matured into a fully modern, well-trained company.
Less than 10% of the annual operating budget of Erie is provided by funding from the Town of Georgetown's tax income. The remaining 90% of Erie 4's budget is raised by the members through donations, rental of the hall, suppers, Club 44, Club 125, the Friends of Erie, the Business Friends of Erie and other fund raising events. See our Fundraisers link for information on how you can support Erie 4.
We are proud to be the oldest, privately owned all volunteer Fire Company in the United States of America still actively fighting fires!